Thursday, April 24, 2014

Great Grand parents

Going to church when I was just a wee little girl with my great-grand parents, Edna and David Williams at Second Baptist Church in Tupelo, Mississippi, was/is a memory I will always cherish. I loved that church. 

Saturday's would be going to the hair dresser for Maw to get her hair coiffed for church the next day and then maybe we would go fishing at Lake Lamar Bruce or some other lake around. Maw would be throwing her line out with her hair net on to keep her curled hair  in place and Paw would be helping me get my big ole cane pole out to fish for minnows.  
Saturday nights would consist of dinner and Bible Study and afterwards a game of dominoes for them and a game of solitaire or concentration for me.  

Sunday morning breakfast would be so great consisting of eggs, bacon, but usually that good old salted ham,red eye gravy, tomatoes and biscuits with coffee--- and yes, I had coffee, mostly sugar and milk. Then dressed for church and out the door. 
Driving to church was always a feat. Paw would always race to church with Maw telling him to slow down and he would just keep driving. 

Usually I would go to Maw's Sunday School Class and sit while she taught. I called it the Old Ladies class(I was only 5 or 6, what did I know). :)  Remind me to tell you a little story of my time in Maw's class with the money. The ladies were always so nice, they doted on me and gave me hard candy while Maw ran over the lesson from the night before. 

I look back and realize how fortunate I was to have spent time with my great grand parents, they were born in 1899. I was their first great grand child/daughter as well as first grand child, so I guess you could say a bit spoiled. Those times were special. Those times were priceless.  

Thanks------


No comments:

Post a Comment