Friday, June 20, 2014

A few memories of my hometown, Tupelo Mississippi

I look back on my growing up in small town, Tupelo, Mississippi and it seemed/s so different now. Hell, it is different. When I travel back home, the streets that I used to frequent so often, I have to look at the sign to make sure I am on that street. Some of the places I used to go are shut down or have become something else. I go downtown and I don't even recognize the area (I have to do a double take.) Let's face it---- things/places change over time and all we have and share are memories.

I remember when I was pregnant with my first child and eating at the Taco Hut where I would buy two Senorita Dinners (yes, two which consisted of refried  beans, little salad, and if not mistaken two taco's) I was eating for two.. :)  I loved going there. Thank goodness Johnny's Drive-in is still around... love those burgers and shakes.  Yummy Yogurt was a big thing for me back in the day, every Saturday, I would spend a couple of hours trying out the menu and when they began their sandwich menu --- favorite was the Italian Roast Beef with hot peppers--- that, for me, was the best. Our hospital, when I worked there was known and still may be today as the largest non-metropolitan hospital in the country. (is it still?) ThunderBirds or TBirds was a great place to dance and for those that did the party scene-great party place. Bogarts, loved going there, it's atmosphere was quite different than TBirds. Not sure if these are still around but of course, with change they may have become something bigger/better or nothing at all. Lake Lee was a place of fun in the sun during the summertime for everyone and on the 4th of July, packed with entertainment of skiers/boaters showing off and lots of cook outs.. The Lee Drive In was for the most part my second home, there all the time, my parents worked there, my sister and i worked there. It was right beside the bowling ally, Reb-a-lanes?,correct? (i broke it up, not sure of the spelling from memory) I remember Mr and Mrs. Heard and my sweet old, Smitty, he was like a second grandfather always so nice.

Tupelo was a place and still is a place that one can grow with the values of small town USA as well as the taste of growing/expanding new ideas and businesses of tomorrow.  

I miss my old Tupelo, but as they say, things have to change and we must change with it or be left behind. After all, changes are necessary.  Tupelo will always be home for me, the place of my birth and youth. I still have a huge family and great number of friends in Tupelo and all those memories that as I grow older, keep flooding my mind and I smile. 

Thanks------

No comments:

Post a Comment