Thursday, November 30, 2017

An uneventful day and a tune

As I was cleaning the kitchen, I heard a familiar tune coming from the television by way of the living room. A tune that made me stop for a moment and reminded me of my grandmother. She had just gotten out of the hospital and still not feeling well and while she was reading the morning paper, she started reading out loud.

Oh my, she said, I can't believe he has died. He was my favorite actor and I just loved him and his voice was dreamy.   To hear my grandmother say dreamy made me turn around from the sink  and say in a oh my goodness, can't believe you just said something like that voice--- "Grandmaw, really?" She looked up from the paper and said, "I was young once" and I would have followed him anywhere but of course later on found out he was gay, but you know, I think I could have changed him.. Now my face turned really red and my voice a little louder screech, saying to my granny that she shouldn't be saying things like that at her age. 

She looked back at me, with a look only a grandmother could give and went back to reading the paper and I turned my attention back to the sink and listened to her read about his death and how he was leaving everything to his long time lover of soo many years and she stopped and said, such a shame, he was a good looking man, just loved him".  I told her I didn't know he was gay and said that he was alright looking for someone older.

Before my grandmother passed a few of his new shows would come and we would sit and you could not say one word or you were banished from the room until the show went off.  Anyone that knows/knew my grandmother knew she was direct and no nonsensical woman. She said what she said and if one didn't like it, she would tell you what she thought and go on. 

That tune, today, I don't know why it got me thinking of my grandmother but it did. Got me to smile and thinking of the day she read about his death and how sad she looked and remembering back to some of his old shows/movies. She seemed childlike that day even through her sickness and her pain, she had a great memory and shared her thoughts with her grand daughter.  How I would love that special time in space to return. I would understand NOW and engage in a much different way other than how I thought my granny had totally lost all scruples and saying such things.

That tune, that tune is the start of Perry Mason. Raymond Burr was a handsome man and great actor.. Since my grandmother's passing, I have loved watching his show and try not to miss an episode.  It's funny how something that was seemingly uneventful on a day of chores brings back a sweet memory on an uneventful day of chores.

Thanks-------

No comments:

Post a Comment